MacPPP configuration for Surfari Internet
Note-These settings are for MacPPP 2.xx (older versions)
- Open 'Config PPP' from your Control Panel Icon.
- Leave the top four buttons alone
- Select the appropriate Modem Port
- Setting the Idle Timeout to a high setting is
recommended, 60 or more minutes.
- Set the Echo Interval setting Off
- Uncheck the Terminal Window box
- Check the 'Hangup on Close' box
- Uncheck the 'Quiet Mode' box
- Skip the 'PPP Server' pull-down
- Click the 'New...' button
- After clicking the 'New...' button, you
should make sure that the
next window looks like the picture here.
- Enter 'surfari.net' in the text box and click OK
- With 'surfari.net' now in the PPP Server pull-down menu, click the
'Config...' button. A new dialog box will appear with 'surfari.net'
highlighted in the top field as shown in Step Two below.
- Select 38400 as the port speed for now. After everything else is
up & running, you can experiment with faster serial port settings.
- Select 'CTS only' flow control if you have the proper hardware
handshaking serial cable (most current Macintosh computers do.)
- Select Tone Dial if appropriate
- Enter 597-3090 in the 'Phone num' field. For those that
have call waiting, please enter
*70 before our phone number; ie. '*70, 597-3090'
- Leave the 'Modem Init' field empty unless you need special modem
AT-commands and you are familiar with how to set them up.
- Leave the Modem connect timeout at the default 90 seconds
- Now, Click the 'Authentication...' button and continue to
Step Three below.
© Surfari Internet Providers
Page last updated on
- After clicking the 'Authentication' button from the previous window...
you should make sure that the next window looks like the picture here.
- Enter your 'username' (ie. login name) in the Authentication
ID field (do not include '@surfari.net'). The 'visitor' entered here
is an example.
- Enter your 'Password' in the password field, all 'dots' will appear.
Your password is the one you selected when you setup your Surfari.Net account.
- Leave the other fields alone and click 'OK'
- You are now back at the PPP Server configuration dialog.
Leave the other buttons alone and click 'Done'
- Test the configuration by clicking the 'Open' button in the main
Config PPP control panel. The modem should dial out and connect to
'surfari.net'. A new alert will appear
stating that the Login Succeeded (assuming you have everything
correctly setup). Click on 'OK' and you will have a live IP connection
to the Internet!
- If the connection failed retrace your steps above, checking for
improper-cased charactors or IP addresses in the wrong format.
IP addresses should all be entered as 'nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn' where
nnn is some number between 0-256 separated by periods, or
'dots' as is the preferred terminology for the internet.
- Once you establish a successful connection, you can launch any TCP/IP
application like (Eudora, NetScape, Fetch, etc.)