Surfari Win95/98 & Millenium (ME) - xDSL/Network Setup
1. Setting up Your Network
Surfari.Net xDSL is being provided to you via an Ethernet Network Interface Card (NIC). Windows 95/98 and Millenium (ME) has the software necessary to talk to this device, all you need to do is set up your NIC and make the network changes listed below. In order to use Surfari.Net xDSL, your network card must be working properly, if you need assistance Surfari.Net can recommend some good computer repair/networking individuals to assist you.
2. Make sure your NIC is working
Unless you have another computer with a NIC, it’s difficult to determine if your NIC is working properly. Surfari.Net xDSL is verified functional at the RJ-11 jack (where your NIC will connect to, via network cable terminated with a RJ-11 plug on each end provided during the installation), so you should be able to just plug the network cable into your NIC and perform the following network setup.
3. Set up your networking details
If you wish to view screen shots of these instructions, please click HERE
Surfari.Net provides you with one static IP address, which will be assigned to your computer. If you wish to have additional computers connected to the xDSL line, you must obtain software or hardware solutions in order to provide this service.
Follow these steps to configure Windows 95/98/ME:
- A. Right-click the Network Neighborhood (or My Network Places for ME) icon on the desktop, and choose Properties from the pop-up menu, the ‘Network Properties’ dialog box appears.
- B. In the ‘Network Components’ list window, double-click TCP/IP è
Network Card (where "Network Card" is the specific name of the NIC in your computer), or select it and click on the Properties button, the "TCP/IP Properties" dialog box opens.
- C. In the IP Address tab, select "Specify an IP address" option by clicking the ‘hole’ next to this selection. When you select this, the ‘hole’ will have a dot in it and the windows will become available for you to enter data in.
- D. Enter your IP address in the fields, (this number is available by calling our office) one set of numbers for each field. As you type in the numbers, you’ll automatically go to the next field if you put in 3 numbers, otherwise you can use the TAB key to move to the next window. You will also want to put in your Subnet Mask numbers right below the IP address. Enter in this number: 255.255.255.0 just as you entered in your IP number.
- E. Click the DNS Configuration tab, then select (as you did in step c. above) the "Enable DNS Option", this will make the windows available for entering the following data:
- I. Host Name: enter your account name (do not include "@surfari.net"), to identify this computer
- II. Domain: enter surfari.net
- III. DNS Search Order: enter 18.104.22.168, then click the Add button
- IV. DNS Search Order: enter 22.214.171.124, then click the Add button
- V. Domain Suffix Search Order: enter surfari.net, then click the Add button
- VI. Click on the Gateway tab, in the "New Gateway" field enter 126.96.36.199, then click on the Add button.
- VII. Click OK twice to exit the TCP/IP Properties and Network dialog boxes; at this point you will be prompted to enter your Windows95/98 CDROM so networking software can be installed. Once complete, you will be prompted to restart your computer.
- VIII. This will complete your network configuration for xDSL.
Surfari Win95/98 & Millenium (ME) - DSL/Network Setup
4. Configuring your web browser for your network
In order for your web browser (and e-mail program) to recognize the network Internet connection, you need to tell it to no longer use your previous Dial-Up Connection (if you had your computer configured for this).
Follow these steps to configure your web browser to not use the Dial-Up Connection:
- A. Click on your Start button from your main task bar, scroll up the menu with your mouse to Settings then click on Control Panel.
- B. Double click the Internet Options (or just Internet) icon, and select the Connections tab.
- C. Select the "Never dial a connection", then click the Apply button to save this setting.
Use the Internet Connection Wizard (as above, except in step c. click on the ‘setup’ button) to ‘manually’ add an Internet account:
- A. Click on "I want to setup my Internet Connection manually, or I want to connect through a Local Area Network (LAN)", then click NEXT.
- B. Click on "I connect through a local area network (LAN)", and then click NEXT.
- C. Click on "Automatic discovery of proxy server (recommended)", and then click NEXT.
- D. When asked if you want to set up an Internet mail account, select no then click NEXT.
- E. Verify the settings, as indicated in Step 3. above by returning to your Network Neighborhood and checking the settings for your network interface card (NIC).
© Surfari Internet Providers
Page last updated on